INTERVIEW: ALPHA WOLF ON NEW LABEL SHARPTONE RECS, SINGLE SUB-ZERO, UPCOMING EP FAULT AND TOUR.
SICK AND SOUND has the pleasure to introduce its readers to an interview we had with metalcore quintet ALPHA WOLF, hailing from Melbourne, Australia. We are catching up with the band of Lochie Keogh, John Arnold, Scottie Simpson, Mitch Fogart and Sabian Lynch after their signing to SharpTone Records and just before the release of FAULT EP due out on April 19th, 2019.
In this interview our editor-in-chief Alex had with SABIAN LYNCH (guitar) we discussed lineup and influences, we explored FAULT EP and latest single SUB-ZERO, talked about their new label SharpTone Records, upcoming EU tour and more.
- Hello ALPHA WOLF, it’s a pleasure to have you here. Let’s start off with a question to introduce your current lineup and how you got into music into the first place.
We’re currently with by far our strongest lineup and the best it will ever be with Lochie Keogh – Vocals, John Arnold – Bass & Vocals, Scottie Simpson – Guitar, Mitch Fogarty – Drums and myself (Sabian) on Guitar.
I got into music by witnessing some heavy bands playing locally and instantly fell in love with it, all I wanted to do was to start a band and pursue it.
Myself and John started a band in college roughly 10 years ago and we’ve been in bands together since.
- What influences, bands or albums have impacted your journey as musicians?
The main band and album would have to be Parkway Drive – Killing With A Smile, I saw them touring this album in 2005 and it blew me away, I was obsessed.
- CONGRATULATIONS for signing with label SharpTone Records and entering their amazing roster. What feelings and expectations are behind this massive achievement?
Thank you! Joining such a high tier label with an incredible roster definitely feels like it’s solidified us more as a band, hearing our friends saying “whoa” at the announcement had us feeling pretty good.
I think all expectations have already been met plus more so we honestly don’t know what to expect, the response to one song has been incredible and we feel that the future is definitely looking bright with SharpTone.
- Along with announcing your new label you have also debuted a new heavy single, SUB-ZERO as part of FAULT EP, coming out on April 19th via SharpTone Records / Greyscale Records. Let’s talk about the concept of fault, mistakes and growth as well as the lyrical themes you discussed in the record.
When discussing potential titles for the EP, this reoccurring sense of Fault was very apparent throughout the songs, we pride ourselves on being upfront and honest with our writing. These songs and themes have all come from a point in time from one of the members perspectives, we like to include everyone heavily in the lyric writing process and it makes us tighter as friends, opening up with each other about past Faults and expressing ourselves within the lyrics has provided a great outlet for each of us.
Watch official video for Alpha Wolf – Sub-Zero:
- What’s been the creative process/songwriting when you guys sat down and wrote FAULT EP and what were the most challenges you had to cope with?
Scottie normally holds down for the fort for the riffs and we’ll all give our two cents about the overall structure, each song normally goes from anywhere between 5-10 complete makeovers before any vocals are tracked.
With the lyrics and vocal placements on this record we definitely took our time making sure we really vibed with every word said and how it’s delivered and I guess that also became the biggest challenge, knowing when to say “it’s done” without going in and tweaking the songs a thousand times more.
- You guys are hitting Europe with a tour kicking off in Paris, France on April 5th, 2019 along with EMMURE, FIT FOR A KING, OBEY THE BRAVE and RISE OF THE NORTHSTAR including Impericon Festival. How do you prepare for this tour and what gets you amped up?
I’ve been making mental and physical notes of everything I need to not forget, and we’ve been preparing ourselves the best possible set we can for our first European appearance.
To amp ourselves up I guess we may be a bit guilty of doing a little Google search of some of the venues that we’ll be hitting up and that gets us all pretty excited, still don’t know what to expect from Impericon Festival but it looks like insanity.
- What sneak peeks would you like to share with our readers about any incoming future projects and live shows?
I guess I’d like to say that we do not stop thinking or working to grow the band, ever, so anything could happen and we always push to deliver the best and most exciting live act that we can.
The new songs should prove to be a hit for our live shows for sure.
- Let’s dream big. How do you see yourself in 5 years time? Maybe sharing the stage with some metalcore titans?
5 years time hey, if the last 5 years of growth is anything to go off, it’s gonna be a crazy next couple of years.
The venues on our horizon for our headline shows look to be at venues we’d never dream of headlining, so if I was to say where I would expect to be 5 years I’d have to say obviously on a world tour with Metallica.
Thank you for your time and we wish all the best luck with the release of your EP and upcoming tour. We are thrilled for more music to be dropped by ALPHA WOLF and keep on supporting you into Europe and US!
Alpha Wolf – Fault EP tracklist:
1. No Name
2. Spirit Breaker
3. Russian Roulette
6. The Lonely Bones
For all interviews available on SICK AND SOUND, please check out:
For all reviews and articles available on SICK AND SOUND for new albums, please check out:
For all concerts reviews available on SICK AND SOUND please check out: