Interview: alt-metalcore breakouts BURY ME ALIVE, debut record UNEXPECTED MISERIES, new single LIGHTS, sneak peek into upcoming album.
Today we’re catching up with alternative metalcore breakouts BURY ME ALIVE, also abbreviated as BMA (Dominik Bischof, Alessandro C. Mueller, Belinda Grabherr, Alex Ebenkofler, Gav Tinkler). Hailing from Austria, the band formed back in 2018 and debuted on the scene with their post-hardcore-infused metalcore output showcased on first record UNEXPECTED MISERIES in 2019. Bury Me Alive smoothly blend together aggression and melodies, harsh vocals and clean vocals, fierceness and catchiness.
The Austrian newcomers come back in 2020 with the announcement of a new record underway, anticipated by brand new single titled LIGHTS, out on June 12th, 2020 with the mission of spreading light amidst trials and difficulties of the current COVID-19 pandemic. This the first song to be lifted from the band’s upcoming record, which details have not yet been disclosed. BMA shared the stage of icons such as Bullet For My Valentine and Lionheart, and were lined up to support While She Sleeps at Conrad Sohm Kultursommer Festival in August, before the event was cancelled as due to the COVID-19 breakout.
With plenty of stuff to discuss about, our editor-in-chief Alex took the occasion to have a chat with Bury Me Alive to know more about the band, their influences and background. In this interview we discussed the songwriting and lyrical inspiration behind debut record UNEXPECTED MISERIES, the mindset behind new single LIGHTS and also sneak peeked into the band’s upcoming record. Bury Me Alive shared with us their experience on stage with Bullet From My Valentine and Lionheart. We also discussed about challenges, future plans, aspirations and some more stuff.
- Hello guys and welcome. Would you mind introducing your band? How was it brought together in the first place and what’s been your journey so far?
We have been writing music together since the middle of 2018, with some member changes included. We released our first album UNEXCPECTED MISERIES in the summer of 2019 with a nice ending album release tour across Germany. We are looking forward to starting this long journey with the current lineup.
- Let’s discuss your influences: the bands, albums or genres that inspired you along the journey or any other music soundscape you may have explored before sticking to alternative metalcore?
Sound influences – this is always a hard question to answer but let’s give it a try.
Actually, we are all lovers of different metal genres as well other music styles. Our vocalist for instance started his musical career with deathcore and then hopped over to some pop/rock years before he joined the metal scene again.
We do have some “heroes” which sometimes influence our songs like Parkway Drive, Bring Me The Horizon, Memphis May Fire or even good old nu-metal, rock or hard rock such as Metallica or Linkin Park.
- You crafted a personal brand of post-hardcore-infused metalcore, blending heaviness and melodic catchiness. What characteristics are necessary for a song to be a typical Bury Me Alive song?
A combination between melodic heavy riffs followed by an earworm chorus which is groovy but also has sick and heavy breakdowns and all that is covered with melodic synthesizers and solid heavy drum patterns.
- Let’s talk about your debut record UNEXPECTED MISERIES released on June 21st, 2019 via Hopeless World Records / Dedication Records. What was the songwriting process behind this record and the lyrical themes discussed?
That was the crazy part about it and we still cannot believe that the outcome was so good. We showed all our different influences and put it together in the “Bury Me Alive” style and it ended up with all the songs which have been released. That was a daring move, but we played it like a “love it or hate it” kinda thing.
- You are coming back in 2020 with brand new single LIGHTS, out on June 12th with the mission of spreading light amidst trials and difficulties of the current COVID-19 pandemic. With this song, you’re giving a wider melodic prospective on your signature sound with some intense clean vocals, catchy chorus and melodies intertwined with minor passages of heaviness. What was the mindset behind LIGHTS when you guys sat down and worked on it?
It’s a kinda tricky thing as we don’t want to put ourselves in a COVID-19 shooting perspective.
We would like to answer this question on a basic point of view with what is happening in our civilization day by day.
We keep following the crowd and putting focus on what is currently being presented without asking ourselves whether this is the truth or just a stupid way to play with the human mind. The daily news is the core and the key to the global belief. We believe what we get told without even evaluating other perspectives or even the most important thing…OUR opinions.
- The song seems to be revolving around a self-reflection journey across darkness and hopelessness. What’s the specific lyrical inspiration of the single?
With the lyrics in LIGHTS we would like to present a statement of how much we ignore our own opinions, but also present a “wake up call” to the world with the possibility to change a lot with a start-over after the current lockdown. Let us work together and “shine” the darkness away by seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.
- This the first song to be lifted from Bury Me Alive’s upcoming record underway, which details have not yet been disclosed. Can you give us a sneak peek? What can we expect from your upcoming materials?
You will get a full length by Bury Me Alive soon, hopefully this year in Autumn we will be able to release the album as we had to reschedule our plans after the COVID-19 pandemic. It will be different, but tasty as well, like the typical Bury Me Alive style. And don’t worry, we didn’t “over salt” it! We are planning to release further singles before that, so the listeners are getting fed early enough 😉
- What were some of the challenges or concerns you faced so far as musicians?
The real s*it we just faced in the last two months was being cursed by the pandemic.
Forced not to play live shows, not being able to meet up for writing new material and playing our instruments together and being locked out from the world…
Other than that I guess it is always about the usual musicians’ issues, like getting paid too low to make enough for a living while making music. But maybe this childhood dream of ours could soon come true if we keep up the effort in doing what we love every single day.
- Let’s talk about your live experience. You shared the stage of icons such as Bullet For My Valentine and Lionheart, just to name a couple. What memories and feelings have you brought back home with you after this experience? Let’s share your favorite on-stage or off-stage moments.
To get the opportunity to play with any well know bands or even local bands is an honor.
On our tour across Germany we had the pleasure of sharing the stage with another local Austrian band called Vertilizar. Both on and off stage those guys are amazing musicians and awesome people. For us being on stage and feeding off the crowds with our music is second to none…whether it’s 50 people or 5000 people.
- You will support While She Sleeps at Conrad Sohm Kultursommer Festival in August 2020. What expectations and feelings are behind this achievement and how are you getting prepared for this gig?
Sadly because of the COVID-19 pandemic the Kulturesommer Festival has been cancelled.
So until further notice we won’t be sharing the stage with While She Sleeps, but we know for sure this would of been an amazing opportunity for us and hope to get the chance to play with them in the near future.
- If you had the opportunity to tour with 5 mainstream metalcore bands who would you tour with?
Well…While She Sleeps for obvious reasons 😉
Bring Me The Horizon
Fit For A King
August Burns Red
- What else can we expect from Bury Me Alive in 2020 and what are your goals and aspirations for the future?
Well, because of the COVID-19 pandemic, we have had to rethink the release date for the album.
In this time of uncertainty we haven’t had the chance to play live, as everyone else. It gave us the opportunity to connect more with our audience online, so we are looking into some new ways to increase our online presence. But we are really excited to play live again, as nothing can replace that experience.
Our goal is to hopefully play live at the end of the year and we are currently organizing a lengthy tour for the beginning of 2021.
Thank you for your time BURY ME ALIVE and all the best for your upcoming record. We are keeping an eye on your news and supporting you into Europe and US!
Thank you so much for the support.
For all articles and reviews available on SICK AND SOUND for BURY ME ALIVE please check out:
For all interviews available on SICK AND SOUND please check out:
For all reviews and articles available on SICK AND SOUND for new albums, please check out:
For all reviews and articles available on SICK AND SOUND for concerts, please check out: