Interview: Boston-based bruisers GREAT AMERICAN GHOST discuss TORTURE WORLD EP, touring with Fit For An Autopsy, working with Will Putney and pandemic.
We’re catching up with Massachusetts hardcore heavy-hitters GREAT AMERICAN GHOST (Ethan Harrison, Niko Gasparrini, Joseph Perron, Davier Perez) who released their punishing new EP TORTURE WORLD on January 20th, 2022 via MNRK Heavy. The record was produced by Will Putney who also handled the band’s critically-acclaimed full-length POWER THROUGH TERROR dating back to 2019.
To promote the record, the band is currently on stage with headliners Fit For An Autopsy along their 2022 tour next to Ingested, Enterprise Earth, Signs Of The Swarm and will also embark a tour throughout Europe and the UK kicking off in May alongside Fit For An Autopsy, Une Misère, Enterprise Earth and Sentinels.
Our editor-in-chief Alex had an opportunity to have a chat with the band to discuss the writing and creative process approached for TORTURE WORLD EP, alongside the personal themes and vision they wanted to get across with this record.
In this interview we also talked about how the band is coping with the pandemic situation and its consequences on their activity in the music industry. The band discussed the feelings and thoughts behind sharing the stage with Fit For An Autopsy and current US tour. We also got to know more about the experience the band had by working side by side with Will Putney and how this collaboration was set up in the first place.
- Hello GREAT AMERICAN GHOST and welcome. Before getting into the details of TORTURE WORLD EP, I would like to discuss with you the pandemic situation. How have you adjusted in the current scenario as a band? What kind of impact and consequences are these troubled times having on your activity in the music industry?
Hey there and thanks for having us!
Well, the pandemic changed everything. We are trying to do our best to use these past two years of inactivity as a catalyst. I personally took all of this a little for granted. That will never happen again. We’re coming out of this with a new sense of purpose for sure. This can all go away at any time. That has definitely changed how we approach everything.
- Let’s talk about your new EP TORTURE WORLD out on January 20th, 2022 via MNRK Heavy. What’s been the creative and writing process approached for this record as compared to previous materials?
The main difference was that thing pandemic was written and recorded in a pandemic, obviously, and that made the entire writing process extremely remote. We were communicating ideas through text and email the best that we could. It was challenging but it also allowed us a lot of space to discuss exactly what we like about heavy music. Who we wanted to be as a band. We definitely explored some ideas that I don’t believe we would have if circumstances were “normal”. I’m hoping that paid off.
- What’s the message and vision that GREAT AMERICAN GHOST are ultimately getting across? Let’s talk about some of the lyrical themes discussed or main vision behind the record.
Lyrically Great American Ghost/I am trying to discuss issues that speak to me personally. Issues that I think need more attention or that I want to speak my personal peace about. If there is one over arching theme to what Great American Ghost is about its equality over oppression. By any means necessary.
- You joined forces once more with Will Putney, who also produced your critically-acclaimed full-length Power Through Terror dating back to 2019. Let’s discuss the experience you had by working together and how this continuous collaboration was set up in the first place.
Working with Will is one of the true highlights of our career as a band. He is the pinnacle of our genre and every time we work together I think the band gets better. Will does that, he makes the best parts of your band better. We count ourselves very lucky to be a part of his extended family of bands. Truly we ran into him quite a few times over the years and he decided that he saw something in us. That’s basically how it happened and we haven’t looked back since.
- You’re currently supporting Fit For An Autopsy along their 2022 tour next to Ingested, Enterprise Earth, Signs Of The Swarm and will also embark overseas in May. What are the feelings and thoughts behind sharing the stage with Fit For An Autopsy and across this tour?
It is incredible. Every night. Hands down the most successful tour we have ever done. Fit are our brothers and to see them succeeding the way that they are after all of their hard work is a great honor for us. It’s a pleasure to be part of it.
Thank you for your time Great American Ghost. All the best of luck for the promotion of your record and future endeavours.
Great American Ghost – Torture World EP tracklisting:
2. Torture World
4. Death Forgives No One
For all interviews available on SICK AND SOUND, please check out:
For all reviews and articles available on SICK AND SOUND for new albums, please check out:
For all concert reviews and live reports available on SICK AND SOUND, please check out: