INTERVIEW: EXITWOUNDS ON NEW LABEL SHARPTONE RECS, VISIONS EP, TOUR AND MORE.
SICK AND SOUND has the pleasure to introduce its readers to an interview we had with metalcore quartet EXITWOUNDS, hailing from Indianapolis, Indiana. We are catching up with the band after their signing to SharpTone Records and the release of VISIONS EP out on February 22nd, 2019.
In this interview our editor-in-chief Alessandra had with Alec Harter (vocals) we got to know the band a little better, we explored VISIONS EP and split album with Kingsmen, discussed about their new label SharpTone Records, recent tour and more.
Our track by track review (Italian review) for VISIONS EP is available at: www.sickandsound.it/gli-exitwounds-e-limpressionante-debutto-nel-metalcore-con-visions-ep.
- Hello guys and welcome at SICK AND SOUND. Let’s start off with a question to get to know ExitWounds. How has the band originally formed and what’s been your journey so far?
Hi, thanks for having us! It’s a pleasure. The band formed a few years ago under a different name. After numerous lineup changes and eventually coming to a short hiatus, we regrouped/rebranded as ExitWounds In 2017 and have been grinding nonstop ever since.
- CONGRATULATIONS for signing with label SharpTone Records and entering their amazing roster. What feelings and expectations are behind this massive achievement?
Thanks! It’s definitely a humbling achievement, the platform we were given was an experience unlike any other. They have a killer roster and to even see our name alongside some of those artists is bizarre.
- I’m catching up with you after reviewing your fabulous EP VISIONS released on February 22nd, 2019. So let’s talk about the lyrical themes and messages behind the tracks.
Thanks for listening! Essentially the overall theme is one of someone finding their own way in life versus being born into/force fed orthodoxies or doctrines. We also touch on addiction, grief and lust.
- I would love to discuss your split album Split Series #1, released in November 2018 together with your label mates Kingsmen. What mindset was behind a split album and in what measure the songs you picked – Hades and Choices – are best representing your metalcore output?
The split kind of felt like a spur of the moment idea, and it paid off well. I feel like it was a great way to introduce two bands with familiar yet paralleled sounds. As far as the choice in songs, we felt those were most definitely the standout tracks for first impressions.
- What are your favorite tracks off VISIONS EP and why? Our favorites were Medusa and Choices.
Everyone in the band has different favorites, but the general consensus is Transparency. Keep in mind we play these songs every night on tour and that plays a huge role in what’s the most fun. The energy that song brings is unmatched so far.
- What were some of your most listened to albums and influences while writing and recording the EP? Catchiness and vocals somehow reminded me of iconic Of Mice & Men, is this relevant to your influences?
I dabble in OM&M, but honestly the biggest influences on these songs are relative to feelings I personally would have when reading certain books, news articles, or even playing games. Assassins Creed Odyssey most definitely brought a ton of influence. Might be silly to some people, but the overall aesthetic and vibe of the EP drew from that game.
- How to achieve such a balanced sound between heaviness and catchiness, brutality and melodic emotion in such a way? Let’s talk about the staples related to your signature sound.
Honestly it’s not something we ever intend to balance. It’s all about the structure of a song and what fits where. This EP was most definitely intended for more casual listeners and it was a good way to break the ice. Our unreleased material is more what defines us and our sonic projection.
- ExitWounds have been recently hitting the US with a tour. Anything worth mentioning about this experience, any cool moments and memories you wish to share with us?
That tour was such a roller coaster, haha. We played some sold out shows, had some of our stuff stolen, experienced so much outside of playing shows. It was amazing, can’t wait for the next one.
- Let’s share the songs on your setlist that fans have been digging the most during your tour.
Like I said earlier, the energy that Transparency brings is unmatched. A close second would be an unreleased song, and people always really dig Medusa. It’s absolutely mind boggling when you’re hours and hours from home and you have a crowd of people singing the bridge with you. Nuts.
- What else can we expect in 2019 from ExitWounds? A new album on the horizon maybe?
We’re in a purgatory right now, but there’s huge things on the horizon. Typical of a band to say those kinds of things but we have some tricks up our sleeves I don’t think anyone will expect.
Thank you for having a chat with us, it’s been such a pleasure, and all the best for your amazing EP. We are very thrilled for more music to be dropped by ExitWounds and fully supporting you into Europe and US!
Thanks so much for talking with us. It was a pleasure.
For all reviews and articles available on SICK AND SOUND for EXITWOUNDS please check out:
For all interviews available on SICK AND SOUND, please check out:
For all reviews and articles available on SICK AND SOUND for new albums, please check out:
For all concerts reviews available on SICK AND SOUND please check out: