INTERVIEW: HERUIN NU METALCORE OUTFIT BANGING WITH NEW ADDICT EP.
SICK AND SOUND has the pleasure to introduce its readers to an interview our editor-in-chief Alessandra had with HERUIN nu metalcore outfit from Munchen, Germany. We are catching up with the band of Darius Asgarian, Benjamin Cepiga, Ludwig Urban, Jonas Hoelscher, Aaron Dylan Rusch after the release of their debut ADDICT EP. We got a chance to chat with the band and get to know more about them as well as exploring their stoking record. Our track by track review for ADDICT EP is available at: www.sickandsound.it/heruin-addict-ep-il-nu-metalcore-da-alta-dipendenza-premere-play-e-riavvolgere.
- Hello guys and very welcome at SICK AND SOUND. I was very pleased when your debut EP knocked my inbox as this shows off a top notch nu metalcore we are capable here in Europe too, outside of the overcrowded AUS and USA soundscapes. How do you see metalcore in Germany and what are you strongest assets to emerge in this scenario?
Metalcore is actually still a pretty big thing in Germany. Shows over here are sold out and we get a lot of metalcore bands from the US and Australia who love to play here. We’re truly blessed to be able to start building our fanbase in a country that has a huge market for our genre.
- How was Heruin outfit brought together?
We’ve all known each other for a long time and music is also the reason why our paths crossed more often. And we’ve actually already played with each other in different bands before. Some strokes of fate, such as drugs and other evil things, finally led us into forming this lineup and fortunately let this project bloom.
- ADDICT EP is your debut album out on May 11th, 2018 via Famined Records. This seems to mark a new beginning and journey for Heruin, redefining the identity of the band itself. Tell us more about that and the message you wish to spread with your own music.
With this EP, I’d say we didn’t really have a certain message we wanted to spread to be honest. The music and lyrics for these songs just came kinda natural as part of the process. We’re just five dudes making music that we love and singing about stuff that comes to our mind.
- Let’s talk about your sound. This is combining nu metal to metalcore making use of all –core headbanging elements, synth and dark harmonious elements conveying hunting and eerie atmospheres. Heaviness is highly diluted with crisp harmonies and a massive quantity of catchiness. I would love to discuss your view on the sound you have crafted and its main features.
Well, I think you absolutely nailed it. Our sound has aspects of nu-metal and metalcore, but there’s other dark, heavy, and catchy elements added in that we hope will allow us to stand out from other groups in this subgenre.
- I would love to explore the lyrical themes chosen for ADDICT EP and the approach Heruin has opted for, whether from a personal experience or general point of view.
Lyrically, our aim was to write about gloomy human behaviour. But, that will by the only hint we give for the time being. We want the people to read the lyrics and make their own stories out of them.
- Let’s dig in a few tracks. Opener Haunted showcases with no hesitation your best songrwriting in its fierceness. This is combining electronic effects and synth, together with a catchy chorus causing an immediate sing along. How has the track been put together and the reasons why it was picked for a video release?
“Haunted” was the last track we wrote before going in production. We actually finished the writing on our drummer Aaron’s birthday and we were in a raging party mood. For “Haunted” we tried to keep things simple but also explosive. We wanted to focus on one heavy main riff and a chorus that gets you right away. We chose it for the video because the song has a great opening and had multiple possibilities for storytelling.
- Title track Addict. This is a very dynamic and rich track on multiple elements merged to achieve power and headbanging. Opening is somehow reminiscent of Caliban and some of the best mainstream metalcore bands out there. On the other side there is also a strong sense of suspense and uneasiness. A very addictive track especially on the chorus. Let’s discuss its songwriting process.
For “Addict,” we had the mindset of writing a heavy song with crazy and unexpected parts. We rearranged the song multiple times during the writing process so we could glue it together with the melancholic chorus we had right from the start. We had to change and switch parts often so the song would still focus on the chorus without losing its heaviness. Fun fact about this song is that we changed the verse riffs about three times until we were finally happy with the result.
- Closer track Issue. I was very impressed by the heavy backbone of the song where the highest quantity of melodic and harmony of the whole EP are embedded. It is hosting a mastodon chorus. A perfect closer for an album which keeps wanting more from Heruin. What can you tell us more about Issue and its topic?
“Issue” was a great way for us to break our boundaries and step out of the comfort zone of our usual writing structure. We wanted to push the crazy and effects factor to the max. Funnily enough, the melodic chorus evolved by an accident, but sounded great to us. Lyrically, “Issue” is all about feelings of guilt and destructive human behavior.
- What were the most difficult aspects fronted while working on the record and what the coolest ones?
Since we used to play in different bands before, everyone had different views on how to work together. It took us some time for us to be collectively efficient, but we eventually worked it out. Once we got past that speed bump, we all had a blast writing the songs.
- Do you have a tour coming up into Europe? What news on upcoming shows or projects are you willing to share with our readers?
We are currently in the process of finding a booking agency that works best for us. In the meantime, we have a couple shows booked in Germany as well as a short tour in Italy around October of this year.
Thank you for your time and a massive good luck with your very promising debut EP. We are very thrilled for more music to be dropped by Heruin and very enthusiastic in supporting you into Europe and US!
For all reviews and articles available on SICK AND SOUND for HERUIN band, please check out:
For all interviews available on SICK AND SOUND, please check out:
For all reviews and articles available on SICK AND SOUND for new albums, please check out: