Interview: introducing Connecticut metalcore act NOVA and debut EP APPARITIONS.
SICK AND SOUND has the pleasure to present an interview our editor-in-chief Alex had with NOVA nu metal / metalcore outfit hailing from Connecticut. We are catching up with the band of Diego Carriuolo, Matthew Pero, Joseph Vidal, Derek Crowley and Nick Lapierre after the release of their debut EP APPARITIONS out on August 2nd, 2019.
The metalcore quintet took some time out of their day to sit down and talk with us about what they’ve been up to. We got to know the band a little better discussing their sound and influences. We also discussed in detail a few songs, the lyrical themes, writing process and challenges behind APPARITIONS EP.
- Hello NOVA and welcome at SICK AND SOUND. Let’s start by introducing your lineup and how the band has been brought together getting you into music in the first place as NOVA.
- How did you come up with the name NOVA?
Matt and Diego came up with the name. It came from Supernova, and with everyone being interested in astrology, space and aliens, it just fit us.
- Let’s discuss your soundscape nu metal/ metalcore. In what measure is it important to be pigeonholed in a soundscape or conversely, evolve beyond a genre without sticking to it?
When we jumped into this EP, our number one goal was to make sure everyone could create a positive outcome from such harsh situations, Apparitions has some super heavy songs however we also have some songs on the EP that are on the lighter side so we really wanted to not limit ourselves to just one type of sound.
- If you had to describe your sound in just a few words, what would they be?
Courtney Love killed Kurt Cobain and got away with it.
- What are you main influences in terms of bands?
Counterparts, SECRETS, The Goo Goo Dolls, In Hearts Wake, TOOL, Architects and SLAVES.
- What were some of your most listened to albums while writing and recording your EP APPARITIONS?
We pretty much listened to The Goo Goo Dolls, SECRETS and Gideon the entire duration.
- APPARITIONS EP is your debut EP, released on August 2nd, 2019. What was the typical writing and creative process approached for this record?
We had this idea of wanting to write and record an ep and we started watching videos on outer space and all the phenomenal things that happen in our universe, and personal pains.
- What are the main lyrical themes and messages that NOVA want to get across with this record?
We wrote about personal experiences, positives and negatives, being depressed, angry and doubted. We wanted people to be able to connect lyrically with this EP because it’s something everybody goes through at some point in their lives.
- Let’s discuss songs GHOST, STRANGER and ABSENCE off the EP. What are the subjects of the songs and the mindset behind releasing those specific tracks to give the world a taste of your sound before the EP was released?
Alright so Ghost is about making that move you’re too afraid to make because it’s needed. Your mind isn’t clear, your thoughts aren’t healthy, you gave it your all, but it’s not good enough.
Stranger is about broken hearts and self awakenings. That sudden realization that the person you love, doesn’t love you anymore, and they’re not the person you fell in love with. You’re stuck in that weird void.
Absence is about breaking through, proving that we bark and bite.
We choose Ghost and Stranger as the singles honestly because they’re so different. They’re strong enough to stand on their own, they don’t need to be gently placed in the middle of a record to have the strength and power exposed. Having a strong opening and ending song is important to us, and these beauties deliver exactly that.
- What were some of the biggest challenges you faced while working on this record? And what about the easiest and most natural aspects?
We faced the typical challenges of writers block, what we had wasn’t good enough, and trying to dig deep within our personal pain and misery wasn’t easy at first. The easiest part was putting it in the arrangement we wanted.
- Let’s touch on your live experience. What was your favorite ever on-stage moment?
We haven’t played a show yet, but we have one September 20th in Rochester NY!
- What else do NOVA have in store for the rest of the year? How are you guys going about the promotion of this record? Any shows, projects and revelations or further details you wish to share.
We have a couple shows that we’re excited to play, we’re tossing around a couple video ideas, and we actually just started writing for EP number 2. Diego and I (Matt) have been submerging ourselves in bands like TOOL and Hotelbooks to try and create/write something that’s a bit more out of the box and challenging for us. Promotions are doing great! The response for us has been amazing and beautiful so far. Seriously can’t thank everyone enough.
Thank you for your time NOVA and all the best of luck for the promotion of your debut EP APPARTIONS. We’ll keep an eye on your news and fully supporting your band into EU and US!
Thank you guys so much!
NOVA – APPARITIONS EP tracklisting:
For all interviews available on SICK AND SOUND please check out:
For all reviews and articles available on SICK AND SOUND for new albums, please check out:
For all reviews and articles available on SICK AND SOUND for concerts, please check out: