Interview: MARCUS HEFFLER of Swedish metalcore powerhouse AVIANA discusses the process behind sophomore album EPICENTER.
SICK AND SOUND is pleased to present to its readers an exclusive interview we had with AVIANA, metalcore outfit hailing from Gothenburg, Sweden currently signed to Arising Empire.
The band features Joel Holmqvist at vocals, Marcus Heffler and Oscar Forsman at guitars, Sebastian Colque at bass and Niclas Bergström at drums.
The band debuted with first full-length Polarize back in 2017 and released sophomore album EPICENTER on August 23rd, 2019 via Arising Empire.
In this interview our editor-in-chief Alex had with guitarist MARCUS HEFFLER, we got to know the band a little better, we discussed the creative and writing process behind their sophomore album EPICENTER, a few tracks off the record, the messages and lyrical inspiration as well as the challenges involved. We also talked about AVIANA’s most recent European/UK tour with The World Alive, Make Them Suffer and Of Virtue and their upcoming European Fall tour kicking off in October.
- Hello Marcus, it’s a massive pleasure to have you here. We typically start off with a question to get to know the band a little better. Let’s introduce AVIANA by talking about how it was brought together and what your influences in terms of genres and bands are.
Basically me and Nic met in high school 10 years ago and we started jamming together and after a couple of years we wanted to start a band so we found Seb through mutual friends and he took Oscar with him and that’s pretty much how we started. We all listen to a lot of different music so we’re trying to take as many genres as we can into our music and make it our own style.
- What’s the story behind your name “AVIANA”?
Seb found this name in a game and we thought it looked cool so we kind of stuck with it.
- Let’s talk about your songwriting. What’s been the creative and writing process when you guys sat down and wrote your sophomore album EPICENTER released on August 23rd, 2019 via Arising Empire?
On this record we tried something different and that is that Nic wrote some drums only and sent it over to me and Oscar and then we started making riffs on those drums to make a song out of it. And the lyrics all mostly Seb’s work while some lyrics are written by Nic, Joel and me.
- How long have you been working on the record?
We always write new music all the time so we basically started even before our first record came out. So the oldest song on Epicenter is Altitude Sickness which we wrote in summer of 2017 so I would say that we started around that time for the new material.
- What’s the message and vision that AVIANA are ultimately getting across with this record? Let’s talk about the lyrical themes discussed in EPICENTER.
The lyrics are mostly about our own experiences this time. We wanted to make a more personal record for people to connect with the music and feel that we as humans are all the same.
- What was different for this record as opposed to your debut album Polarize dating back to 2017 and how has the sound actually progressed or changed, if so?
The difference between those two albums is that we wanted to do more different things this time. We tried more clean vocals, we tried more melodies and we also tried more brutal heavy riffs. I think with the first record that it’s pretty much ”all the same” but now we have songs that are different from each other but still have the same sound if that makes sense.
- What song do you consider to be the heaviest, the most melodic and the most experimental on this record?
The heaviest song is either Frail or Erased, those are massive songs. The more melodic songs are Altitude Sickness, Celosia, More Than A Name and Ikigai. I think the whole album is experimental in general. We have some songs that would fit on Polarize but even songs that is totally new for us.
- My favorite track HEAVY FEATHER. Let’s give more details about the song.
Okay so this song was just as I said earlier that Nic sent me some drums and I started riffing on it and I remember that I did a whole different song at first with a completely different sound but then this main riff was coming to me in my head and I tried it on these drums and we all felt that it was more of a fit for that song.
- I’d love to catch up with you on the last European/UK Tour with THE WORLD ALIVE celebrating their first decade of music along with MAKE THEM SUFFER and OF VIRTUE. What feelings and best memories have you brought back home with you?
That tour was amazing! We met a lot of new people and made some very good friends and we just had the time of our lives. Playing in a lot of new countries and seeing a lot of great fans means the world for us. I think some of the best memories we have was to be in Poland or Finland we’re we’ve never played before and see the place packed with people and they all got nuts. That was a great feeling!
- You are about to headline a European Fall tour along with Strains, kicking off in October until November to promote the release of this record. How are you getting ready for this tour and what feelings and expectations are behind that?
We’re really excited for this one and it is going to be fun to play with the fellas in Strains and we hope a lot of people will come to the shows!
- What songs have been jammed the most by your fan base upon your last European tour and what songs will be part of your upcoming live setlist? Just specify a couple, and leave the rest as to wow your fans.
There is no hiding that we will play all the singles we have but have some extra songs on the set that I think people will like! You just have to buy a ticket to a show and see for yourself!
- What else can we expect from AVIANA for the rest of 2019? Shows, anticipations, materials tracking.
Right now we’re focusing on this tour in November, writing some new music and just preparing for a lot of great stuff happening in 2020 so stay tuned for what will come next!
Thank you for your time AVIANA, we wish nothing but the best for your blistering record and we will catch up with your shows across Europe and US!
Thanks a lot!
Aviana – Epicenter tracklisting:
1. My Worst Enemy
2. Red Sky
3. Altitude Sickness
5. Heavy Feather
6. Look Away
12. More Than a Name
For all articles and reviews available on SICK AND SOUND for AVIANA please check out:
For all interviews available on SICK AND SOUND please check out:
For all reviews and articles available on SICK AND SOUND for new albums, please check out:
For all reviews and articles available on SICK AND SOUND for concerts, please check out: