INTERVIEW: THIRDSPHERE ALIGNED ON NEW RECORD SYZYGY.
SICK AND SOUND is pleased to introduce to its readers an exclusive interview our editor-in-chief Alessandra had with Francis and Filipe of THIRDSPHERE deathcore outfit from Portugal. We got a chance to chat with them and explore their new album SYZYGY out in December 2017 via Circle Melody Records.
Our track by track review for SYZYGY is available at: www.sickandsound.it/thirdsphere-syzygy-lallineamento-sonoro-che-scuote-la-gravita-e-collide-con-i-sensi .
- Hello guys and very welcome at SICK AND SOUND. Before digging your record, I would love to know more about your band. How was it brought together and why choosing Thirdsphere as a name?
We started this band in 2008, by bringing friends of friends to play metal music with us and have fun. Thirdsphere was a name we realized it could be interesting because we are the third planet of the solar system and we wanted to write songs we really like so we called this band Thirdsphere, because we want this to be our own world.
- SYZYGY is your new full-length album. I was very fascinated by its title and the choice of a title dealing with astronomy. SYZYGY recalls a straight-line configuration of three or more celestial bodies in a gravitational system, usually the Sun, the Earth and the Moon or another planet. Tell us more about its inspiration and meaning to you.
As band we were finally aligned, and we found the music style we wanted to write. It is an analogy with the SYZYGY phenomenon and of course because we are fascinate about astronomy.
- This record is following up latest EPs ICE, FIRE and your first demo This is a Thirdsphere CD dating back to 2008. In what measure has your sound been changing since your very first output, and what new features have been introduced or refined in SYZYGY?
Everything has changed, in SYZYGY we all left our comfort zone and gave our best for this record because we wanted to do something that could surpass us. We changed guitar tuning, put electronic elements, we removed all clean vocals, and only focus on our best musical details.
- What main lyrical themes were discussed in SYZYGY?
We talked about daily things of our routines, things we love, we hate, all based on our own experience. We also have some songs that talk about mythologies, like Nephilim and Hammers.
- Let’s explore a few favourite tracks, opening song Hammers. This is a very bold introduction to your record, collecting all your strongest assets and giving a clear idea of the mastodon elements describing your sound since the beginning. It’s a hammering punishing song, as much as the title suggested. What are your views on it and how did it come to life? What kind of experience was featuring guitarist Mendel Bij De Leij of Aborted?
Well, Filipe wrote that song 2 years ago and we ‘ve been working on the song on pre-production until we were satisfied with the final result. Working with Mendel was really easy, he is a beast at playing guitar. We gave him the song and total freedom to write whatever he wanted.
- Monster. This is a metal slaughter track. It’s a brutal assault bursting out since the first sentence: “These lies are useless” and keeping the heaviness up via a layered and intricate riffing, supersonic blast beats, rocky break downs and some colossal harsh vocals. I have to admit, after reviewing the track, I was still repeating on a loop “No more regrets, no turning back”. Let’s talk about the songwriting behind the song and its topic.
Filipe and Francis wrote that song and our producer, Tiago Canadas, helped us developing the song until what its sounds like today.
- Track IR Interference is a very rich and dynamic piece, featuring guest vocals by Andrew Ivashchenko of Shokran. Heaviness is soothed by a couple of oxygenating sections hosting clean and clear vocals combined with an enchanting melodic texture. This is a very rare case in the record, so would love to praise this song with yourselves and talk more about it.
We have written a chorus for Nuno Cardoso to sing. We wanted it to be the only clean vocal line on the record, but during the studio pre-production we’ve thought about inviting Andrew to record his voice too. We invited him, he accepted the collaboration and he contributed with his vocals on the song.
- What challenging aspects have you faced while working on SYZYGY and what have you enjoyed the most?
Basically our friendship and mutual respect just got stronger. It was very difficult for us to put this record out, so we had to help each other to make this dream come true. Being together in the studio was a great time for us.
- Tell us more about your incoming thrilling experience in sharing the stage with Northlane.
We are excited about this, it will be their first time playing in Portugal so we want to do our best and at the same time try and show them some beautiful places in Lisbon and Porto.
- Any anticipations on your tour or any forthcoming project you wish to share with our readers?
We toured Europe for the first time in August 2017. We want to do it again, maybe with this album will help us booking a bigger and better tour. We are accepting invitations to play little around the world. If you would like to see us live please send us an email with the conditions you can offer at: Official.email@example.com .
Thank you for your time and all the best for your new record SYZYGY. We are longing for more music to be dropped by Thirdsphere and keep on supporting you into Europe!
Thank you so much for the interview and for giving us a chance to show our music.
Francis & Filipe
For all reviews and articles available on SICK AND SOUND for THIRDSPHERE band, please check out:
For all reviews and articles available on SICK AND SOUND for new albums, please check out:
For all interviews available on SICK AND SOUND, please check out: