INTERVIEW: TONY PETTRY OF TAMPA BAY VETERAN METALLERS “SHATTERED” ON THE BAND AND UPCOMING EP “SKINWALKER”.
SICK AND SOUND presents an interview our editor-in-chief Alessandra had with TONY PETTRY, guitarist for SHATTERED metal band.
Shattered is located in the Tampa, Florida area and founded in 2014 combining multiple genres and influences from hardcore, thrash, death metal with a old school / new school twist.
Veteran musicians Tony Pettry, Fred Verett, Tony Weaver, Shawn Conner, Jonathan Warrington brought their vision together from different soundcapes and unique dynamics to the music output Shattered want to convey. Tony took some time out of his day to sit down and talk with us about what the band has been up to. We got to know the band a little better, discussed music, their upcoming EP Skinwalker and future plans.
- Hello Shattered and very welcome at SICK AND SOUND. Let’s give our readers a wider view on your outfit by talking about how it has been put together and what you influences are.
Hello, I’m Tony Pettry the guitarist for Shattered. I and Tony Weaver founded Shattered in 2014 in Tampa Bay, Florida. We jammed together in the past and wanted to play some heavier metal so we brainstormed names and checked availability which Shattered was the one we really thought popped. Our styles are from old school metal to newer metal out there and combined makes us a very unique style.
- We would love to know you any better, who are you outside of your outfit as musicians?
I’m a cnc machinist doing military contracting. The other guys are manufacturing type jobs as well.
- What’s the message that Shattered wish to spread with your music and what main lyrical themes are important for you to discuss?
Shattered would love to share our music that created and enjoy paying so much. Our new release coming this year is based around werewolves and mystical being.
- How do you see the soundscape you fit in and what goals do you set to yourself to create something outstanding?
I think we fit in with most metal bands just because we are all over the place and not sticking to one style. We just need to stay focused and get our EP done is our goal at the moment.
- Describe your sound in a few adjectives, what are its staples and assets?
Appealing, Different, Punishing. We thrive on sounding different than other bands.
- What were the most challenging aspects working on your new EP Skinwalker?
Things actually are coming together very good. The most challenging thing is setting up a practice where everyone can attend. Our work schedules are all over the place.
- SONGWRITING. In terms of the writing process, what was different in terms of writing for this EP as opposed to your previous material and how has the sound actually progressed?
This is actually the first album Fred is on. The other vocalist focused a lot on politics and Fred is more of a fantasy singing vocalist. He makes your imagination wonder for sure.
- And how much have you also changed as a band over the years and as individuals?
I believe we are more solid now and grew up a lot after certain experiences that you have to live through to understand.
- What are some of the most memorable and coolest things you have experienced at a show so far. Let’s share a few.
Shattered opened for Overkill and Nile a couple years ago and got a encore. It was just a great feeling. One time we covered a Fractured Fairytales song and the their singer Luta got on stage and sang along with our vocalist.
- FUTURE PLANS. What else do you have in store in 2019? Let’s give our readers a touch on your upcoming projects ahead and any revelation you wish to share.
After we finish our EP we will be going on tour so be ready for us! Exciting times coming.
Thank you for your time and we wish all the best luck with your music. We are thrilled for new music to be dropped by Shattered and keep on supporting you into Europe and US!
For all interviews available on SICK AND SOUND, please check out:
For all reviews and articles available on SICK AND SOUND for new albums, please check out:
For all concerts reviews available on SICK AND SOUND please check out: