INTERVIEW WITH MOMENTS.
DIGGING INTO THE BLISTERING OUTLAST EP.
SICK AND SOUND has the pleasure to present to its readers an exclusive interview our editor-in-chief Alessandra had with MOMENTS melodic hardcore and metalcore outfit from Belgium.
We are following up with the band after the release of their new album OUTLAST EP last May 2017 via Dreambound Records. Our track by track review for OUTLAST is available at: www.sickandsound.it/spietato-arsenale-hardcore-dal-flair-melodico-moments-outlast-ep .
- Outlast is your new EP out last May 2017 via Dreambound Records and follow up of Hopes & Dreams LP dating back to 2015. How has the songwriting process changed since your last record and what new elements play a significant role in your new EP?
Back in 2015, writing the music for Hopes & Dreams usually started out with Jeffrey and Kristof (our lead guitarist back then). They would have an idea or a certain guitar riff that would form the basis of a song. The rest of the band was then later involved to include drums, bass and vocals.
While writing Outlast, the whole band was involved right from the start. It explains why there is more variation on Outlast because everyone had a say in writing each and every song.
Hopes & Dreams mainly was a metalcore album that had some melodic hardcore influences, it was Moments as everyone knew it. In Outlast we wanted to explore more options and broaden our musical horizon. Each song is a different from the other.
- In what measure your most recent lineup change has shifted your music. Are there any thrilling news for our readers in a possible new lineup?
Of course, the departure of our lead guitarist Kristof was something we did not expect. Kristof helped making Moments the band it is today and was a major contributor, both in music and vocals.
But his departure opened up new possibilities, and while looking for a new guitar player we also looked for a person who could help Moments to grow and become a better band. And we are certain we found the right person.
We had a lot of applications for the position of guitarist and after considering every option we chose for Sam. He is a phenomenal guitar player who had been a stand-in for both Kristof and Jeffrey and was the logical choice.
- The artwork you have chosen for Outlast is a simple but very impactful cover for a record depicting the esoteric and arcane symbol of the Ouroboros. So what’s behind the inspiration of such a mystical image?
For Outlast we worked with a designer that we did not work with before. We wanted here to create something simple yet powerful and this design came out on top. The snakes stand for something “infinite”. We wanted to create something that would last forever, it most certainly will in our hearts.
- We would love to know more about your music influences, the genres and bands that have thoroughly influenced your songwriting process in both your personal experience as individual musicians and your career as a band.
I think it’s quite obvious certain bands definitely are big influence in our music. Bands like The Ghost Inside, While She Sleeps and even Architects are bands we love and they play a part in the music we want to create. Of course, Moments was formed in 2011 and has since then developed its own kind of style. We do not want to be a cheap copy of a big band, we want to create our kind of music.
- By reviewing your record, we have been stoked by such a balanced dichotomy you have achieved between heaviness on a total blast and the enchanting melody colliding with the senses in your songwriting. What’s the process leading to the heavy-melodic combination?
Like I said, while there are certain bands that influence us, we want to create our style of music.
While being heavy we also want to be melodic. When we write music, we want it to be something that gives you a certain kind of energy but at the same time be nice to listen to.
- We have found some personal intricate lyrics can you tell us about the inspiration and approach to the lyrical themes of Outlast?
‘What If’ is about asking yourself “what if the tables were turned?”. Most of us are lucky enough to live a good life, a life where we are provided in all the basic needs and take these for granted. But what if these weren’t for granted? What if you did not have a roof over your head, a safe and warm place to sleep? It’s something worth thinking about it.
Other inspirations came from our real-life experiences. ‘All it takes’ is about our life as a band while ‘Crossroads’ is about someone overcoming mental obstacles. These are subjects that are more common than we think.
- What were the easiest sides you found working on Outlast and what were the most challenging aspects you faced?
When writing a song with 5 individuals it tends to be become challenging because everyone is entitled to an opinion. Channelling these was a challenge in the early stages of the EP, but towards the end our musical opinions were more aligned and it became easier to write new music.
- WHAT IF lead single is one of the strongest tracks of the EP. The song is packed with a massive quantity of fiery energy and catchiness. How was shaping the track and achieve this result? We would also love to know more about the Berlin stay that influenced its songwriting.
The idea for the lyrics came after our vocalist Dries went to Berlin for a few days. He noticed that a lot of homeless and less fortunate people live there and it made quite a big impact on him.
‘What If’ was the last song we wrote. It started out with the main riff and wanted it to be as heavy as possible while the chorus had to be something that would “stick” with our audience.
‘What If’ is a great example of what our music is all about: energetic and heavy, yet very melodic in our terms.
- Tell us more about another key song in the extended play, OUR FAULTS OUR FAILURES, which fan have been jamming quite a lot as regards the official video released last December 2017.
It focuses on “the next generation”, they are the future and should be guided in the right direction. We want to encourage them not to make the same mistakes that we made.
The video itself consists of footage we made across the last few years.
- Can you give us a sneak peek into your forthcoming shows in Europe and you new projects?
Our main focus for early 2018 will be writing the new full-length album that should be arriving later this year. We play a select number of shows but like I said, the focus is writing new music.
Our first show is immediately a banger though, we play in Essen on the 10th of February together with Polar!
Thank you for your time and all of the best for the future. We are very enthusiastic for more music to be released and support you into Europe!
Thank you very much for the kind words. We appreciate it!
We will keep you posted and make sure to keep an eye on our Facebook-page!
[amazon_link asins=’B072HNZYTD,B07195FVL6,B072BJHYP6,B072HPH1H1,B071VF82NB,B0716L2QCC,B01BMW22AA,B00YERYLQO’ template=’ProductCarousel’ store=’e0517-21′ marketplace=’IT’ link_id=’94b83ee8-01f8-11e8-9d4e-9755c9cca7b5′]
For all reviews and articles available on SICK AND SOUND for MOMENTS band, please check out:
For all interviews available on SICK AND SOUND, please check out:
For all reviews and articles available on SICK AND SOUND for new albums, please check out: